Georgia Institute of Technology
571 Reed St SE
Atlanta, GA 30312
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Ph.D. Digital Media, Minor in Computer Science
Committee: Carl DiSalvo (chair), Ian Bogost, Chris Le Dantec (Georgia Tech);
Anna Valgårda (IT University of Copenhagen)
Alexandra Zafiroglu (Intel Corporation)
New York University, New York, NY
M.P.S. Interactive Telecommunications Program
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
B.A. Science & Technology Studies, Minor in Information Science
Advisor Phoebe Sengers
Awards, Honors, & Grants
- 2017Foley Scholar Finalist, GVU Center, Georgia Tech
GVU’s highest award for student excellence in research contributions to computing
- 2017Human Computer Interaction Consortium
Invitation and funding to attend summer research institute
2016Foley Scholar Finalist, GVU Center, Georgia Tech
2015Best Paper Award Honorable Mention (top 5% of submissions), CHI 2015
2012 - 2015Graduate Research Award, Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing
2011 - 2015Institute President's Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
$5,500 yearly award, "recipients bring exemplary levels of scholarship and innovation"
2014Speculative Student Notable, Core77 Design Awards
2014Consortium for the Science of Socio-Technical Systems
Competitive NSF-funded research institute
2014Best Paper Award Honorable Mention (top 5% of submissions), CHI 2014
2014Outstanding Student Contribution to Digital Media Program
2012 - 20132H12 Nokia Global University Funding, Nokia Corporation
$3,200 grant to fund an invited lecture series for graduate students in HCI and related fields
Public Design Workshop, Georgia Tech
Graduate Research Assistant, Drones for Foraging (with Carl DiSalvo)
Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing, Georgia Tech
Graduate Researcher, Prototyping Platforms (with Ian Bogost)
AT&T Labs, HCI Devices Group
Research Intern, Connected Travel Experiences (with Lana Yarosh)
Adaptive Digital Media Lab, Georgia Tech
Graduate Research Assistant, EarSketch (with Brian Magerko and Jason Freeman)
Culturally Embedded Computing Group, Cornell University
Undergraduate Research Assistant (with Phoebe Sengers)
- Tom Jenkins. Living Apart, Together: Cohousing as a Site for ICT Design. ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2017), Edinburgh, Scotland, UK 2017.
- Carl DiSalvo, Tom Jenkins. Fruit Are Heavy: A Prototype Public IoT System to Support Urban Foraging. ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2017), Edinburgh, Scotland, UK 2017.
- Tom Jenkins, Christopher Le Dantec, Carl DiSalvo, Thomas Lodato, and Mariam Asad. Object-Oriented Publics. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2016), San Jose, California, USA, 2016.
- Carl DiSalvo, Tom Jenkins, and Thomas Lodato. Designing Speculative Civics. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2016), San Jose, California, USA, 2016.
- Tom Jenkins. The Internet of Things: Designing Proto-Infrastructures. Design Anthropological Futures. Copenhagen, Denmark, 2015.
- James Pierce, Phoebe Sengers, Tad Hirsch, Tom Jenkins, William Gaver, and Carl DiSalvo. Expanding and Refining Design and Criticality in HCI. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2015), Seoul, Korea, 2015. Honorable Mention Award.
- Carl DiSalvo, Tom Jenkins. Drones for Foraging. Proceedings of the 2nd Biennial Research Through Design Conference (RTD 2015), Cambridge, UK, 2015.
- Tom Jenkins, Ian Bogost. Escaping the Sandbox: Making and its Future. ACM Conference on Tangible, Embodied, and Embedded Interaction (TEI 2015), Stanford, California, USA, 2015.
- Tom Jenkins Designing the "Things" of the IoT. ACM Conference on Tangible, Embodied, and Embedded Interaction (TEI 2015), Stanford, California, USA, 2015.
- Carl DiSalvo, Jonathan Lukens, Thomas Lodato, Tom Jenkins, Tanyoung Kim. Making Public Things: How HCI Design Can Express Matters of Concern. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), Toronto, Canada, 2014. Honorable Mention Award.
- Tom Jenkins, Ian Bogost. Designing for the Internet of Things: Prototyping Material Interactions. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (alt.chi 2014), Toronto, Canada, 2014.
- Tom Jenkins. Devotional Gardening Tools. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (alt.chi 2013), Paris, France, 2013.
- Brian Magerko, Jason Freeman, Tom McKlin, Scott McCoid, Tom Jenkins, Elise Livingston. Tackling Engagement in Computing with Computational Music Remixing. ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2013), Denver, Colorado, USA, 2013.
- Scott McCoid, Jason Freeman, Brian Magerko, Christopher Michaud, Tom Jenkins, Tom McKlin, Hera Kan. EarSketch: An Integrated Approach to Teaching Introductory Computer Music. Organised Sound, Volume 18, Number 2.
- Tom Jenkins, Kristina Andersen, William Gaver, Will Odom, James Pierce, Anna Vallgårda. The Things of Design Research: Diversity in Objects and Outcomes. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017). Denver, Colorado, 2017.
- Tom Jenkins, Kristina Andersen, William Gaver, Will Odom, James Pierce, Anna Vallgårda. Attending to Objects as Outcomes of Design Research. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2016). San Jose, California, 2016
- Jamie Allen, Johannes Bruder, Moritz Greiner-Petter, Felix Gerloff, Shintaro Miyazaki, Tom Jenkins, Matthias Taradiewicz, Sophie Wagner. Unmaking: 5 Anxieties. Transmediale, Berlin, Germany, 2016.
- Tom Jenkins, Shad Gross, and Alexander Knopfelmacher. Materialities of Information. Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing Workshop. Irvine, California, 2014.
- Tom Jenkins. Sharing Domesticity: An Internet of Cohousing Things. CHI 2017 Workshop “Making Home: Asserting Agency in the Age of IoT.” Denver, Colorado, USA, 2017.
- Tom Jenkins. The Object Ecology: Designing Edge Cases for the Internet of Things. Doctoral Reviews+Symposium for in-process work. Carnegie Mellon School of Design, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. 2016
- Tom Jenkins. Technology for Foraging.Re-Thingifying the Smart City. Transmediale, Berlin, Germany, 2016.
- Phoebe Sengers, Kirsten Boehner, Simeon Warner, Tom Jenkins. Evaluating Affector: Co-Interpreting What "Works". CHI 2005 Workshop on Innovative Approaches to Evaluating Affective Systems, Portland, Oregon, USA, 2005.
- Tom Jenkins. (Pre)Configuring the User. Symposium on Affect, Interaction & Technology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA, 2005.
- Tom Jenkins. Cohousing IoT. Human Computer Interaction Consortium (HCIC 2017). Watsonville, California, USA, 2017.
Emotional Prostheses: Bodily Technologies for Emotional Expression.
Interactive Telecommunications Program, Tisch School of the Arts, New York University, 2008
- PhD by Design at DRS 2016, Brighton, UK, June 2016.
- TEI 2015 Graduate Student Consortium, Stanford, California, USA, January 2015
- DIS 2014 Doctoral Consortium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, June 2014
- Making Subjects. Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA, 2014.
- Human Computer Interaction Consortium (HCIC), Watsonville, CA, USA, June 2017
- Consortium for the Science of Sociotechnical Systems (CSST), Columbia, MO, USA, July 2014
Stamps School of Art and Design, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (with Ian Bogost)
Visiting Lecturer/Tutor (with Søren Rosenbak and Stoffel Kuenen)
Teaching Assistant (with Michael Nitsche)
Guest lecturer: “Introduction to the Arduino Microcontroller” (For Brian Magerko)
Instructor of record
Design prototyping workshop with MFA Transdisciplinary Design students
Design prototyping workshop with MA Visual Sociology students
Teaching Assistant (with Phoebe Sengers)
Teaching Assistant (with Phoebe Sengers and David Williamson)
Marvel Entertainment, New York, NY
Web Developer, Digital Media Group
Efficiency 2.0, New York, NY
User Experience Manager, Design Lead
- Pictorials Chair, Designing Interactive Systems 2018
- Program Committee, Research Through Design 2017
- Associate Chair, CHI 2018 - Design subcommittee
- Associate Chair, DIS 2017 - Design Methods & Processes Subcommittee
- Communication and the Public
- Design Issues
- Interaction Design and Architecture
- International Journal of Design
- Transactions of Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI)
- C&C 2017
- CHI 2013—2017
- CSCW 2015—2018
- DIS 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017
- TEI 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
- UbiComp 2015
- Design Research Organization Steering Committee
- Reviewer, Provost's Undergraduate Research Awards
- Ivan Allen College Graduate Student Advisory Board
- Digital Media Student Committee
- Vice-President, ACM SIGCHI Student Chapter
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Design Research Society
- Open Source Hardware Association
- Society for Social Studies of Science